Nespresso® Alternative Capsules News and Blog / Ristretto
If you are as serious about your coffee experience as we at Café Liegeois are, by now you have heard a multitude of terms and names for the different styles of brews and beverages. It can get a bit overwhelming (and even discouraging!) as one tries to navigate towards finding what they like to drink.
We have researched and found the most popular ways people are enjoying espresso coffee and compiled simple recipes here.
- Espresso – The beginning of all espresso drinks. This is coffee brewed by forcing approximately 1 ounce of nearly boiling water under pressure through finely ground coffee beans. Espresso is generally thicker than coffee brewed by other methods, has a higher concentration of suspended and dissolved solids, and has crema on top (a foam with a creamy consistency).
- Ristretto – Brewed in the exact same fashion as espresso but with just .75 ounces of water. Stronger and thicker!
- Doppio – Again, brewed as a regular espresso would be but with double (doppio=double in Italian) the amount of water; 2 ounces.
- Macchiato – Using either one or two shots of espresso, Macchiato is finished with just a dollop of foamed milk or “froth” on top.
- Café Noisette – Two shots of espresso (or one big one) with an equal amount of steamed milk and a bit of froth on top.
- Americano – A bit like making a full size cup of regular coffee using espresso as a concentrate. Simply add 2 times the amount of hot water to a brewed shot of espresso.
- Latte – If you like a rich espresso with lots of milk, latte is for you. To one shot of espresso add approximately 10 ounces of steamed milk and top with a dollop of frothed milk.
- Mocha – 2 ounces of espresso, 2 ounces of chocolate combined with 1 ounce of steamed milk. Rich and indulgent!
- Cappuccino – 3 equal parts espresso, steamed milk, and frothed milk. Very tasty with nutmeg, cinnamon or cocoa dusted on top.
See any you recognize? Find something new to try? The wonderful thing about using your Nespresso® machine with Café Liegeois pods is you can chose the level of flavor depth or even decaffeinated to make any of the above drinks. Choose PUISSANT® for level 10 flavor intensity, MAGNIFICO® for level 9, DISCRET® (our decaf) for level 7, MANO MANO® (our Fair Trade Coffee) for level 6 or SUBTIL® for a level 5. And this is just the beginning! Play with the above recipes to create your own unique experience. Try using flavored coffee syrups, caramel, chocolate shavings or ice cream. The possibilities are limitless!